View Single Post
Old 04-21-21, 07:41 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
it is best to use the hub removal tool to keep the hub aligned with the very fine and very easily cross-thread aluminium threads on the wheel hub.
One trick that helps to start such threads is to turn the part you want to screw in anticlockwise till you hear or feel a small click, then you can gingerly try to screw clockwise in but do not force it. Sometimes it takes number of tries.

Also, once it catches the thread a little, stop and look from several sides if the part you are trying to screw in is horizontally aligned with the other one. Large diameter threads are finicky.

BTW the way this or any similar forum get new people on board is many time they look for advice and land here but find they can't post pictures and can't describe the problem in words. Well, sometimes they get the advice and leave never to be heard from again, but that is the risk that bike shops or forums have to live with.

I myself came here last fall when I bought a 'modern' bike and needed advice how to take apart BB (more exactly, how to remove pedal arms to begin with) and also had problem with posting pictures not having ten posts and was impatient to get advice from here. I am OK when working on older style bikes from last century but these finicky carbon frames and nuts and what not that I have only seen from afar on other people's bikes are a whole different league.
However everybody has access to a free, third party pic uploading sites.

Last edited by vane171; 04-21-21 at 07:58 AM.
Likes For vane171: