wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Let's discuss Continental tires.

I'm interested in experiences with the various higher-end Continental tires (GP4000S2, GP5000, GP 4 Season, and Gator Hardshell) with respect to features like rolling resistance, handling, overall feel, and actual vs. stated width.

tl;dr
I switched to GP4000S2 over 20,000 miles ago, and have been very happy using them as an all-around road tire for spirited road riding and commuting on paved roads. Flats have been minimal (a couple truck wire flats, and a few from rolling over stupid stuff), and I've had exactly one sidewall cut that warranted an early replacement. I prefer them to other tires I've tried, including some iteration of Vittoria Rubino Pro.

Since GP4000S2 are no longer readily available, I'm tempted to just upgrade to GP5000, but am looking at other options. I'm sticking with clinchers for now.

I also need something narrow - 25mm 4000S2 tires will not clear the frame in my primary road bike. The 4 Season model is tempting, but I suspect that I'd miss the supple ride feel of the 4000S2 tires. I doubt I'd like Gator Hardshell tires, but they seem to be popular.