View Single Post
Old 01-23-15, 01:17 AM
rushbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because they sponsor pro racing, make attractive bikes and they're not 'insert big brand here'. Nothing more.

My story with Felt begins a few years ago with a Time Trial bike - the dead sexy B16, to be precise. I bought it for $2,500 at a LBS because, after entering a number of sprint tris with a 1990 Trek 1000 w drop bars and downtube shifters, I thought it might be time for an upgrade.

It took a few days for me to realize that the carbon frame was a piece of junk. The frame flexed like a wet noodle, so much so that the owner of a large Felt dealer just across the GW bridge from NYC (NY'ers know who I'm talking about) proclaimed the frame defective. Fortunately, he said, the Felt reps were going to be at his shop the following weekend. And so I waited a week and returned.

The three Felt reps could not have been more dismissive. Correction: insulting. They outright said that it was a cheap bike, and that I made a mistake in my purchase. They said what I should have bought was a DA (at that time the DA was $10,000), but that they couldn't help because they were sold out of the DA. Not what anyone prefers to hear after dropping 2,500 on a tbike. And no, I was not after their top-of-the-line bike that they couldn't do me the favor of selling to me.
a
Needless to say, it went up on ebay the following week. After 3 weeks of ownership, I wasn't terribly happy about taking the resale hit, but I was even less happy about my decision to buy it in the first place and the terrible customer service. I felt swindled.

In the end, I picked up a Specialized, which turned out to be the best bike I've ever owned.