View Single Post
Old 08-19-17, 09:14 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
if you can ride 100km without falling apart, you can easily do 160km. Work up to that distance first. And on any distance ride, don't think about the whole thing at once, just to the next food stop or some intermediate goal like that. Randonneurs commonly ride 600km in less than 40 hours. I don't think anyone thinks about that whole distance at once. I am usually pretty happy when I hit the 200km mark, generally trying not to think about the fact that I have to ride another 200km before I sleep and 400km before I'm done. I'd rather let that happy fact sneak up on me over time.
When I rode brevets (my longest ever was a 300km) I used to set my GPS to tell me the distance until the next control. Sometimes it was depressing to realise I was flagging and still had 30km to go but it meant I was never presented with "you've cycled 173km so far" with the associated "so don't be surprised if everything hurts".