Old 09-26-18, 12:23 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Nice looking bike PBass! I love that shade of green.

I have a buddy who is almost ready for a drop-bar gravel bike. He's probably more 60-70% pavement, and riding for fun and fitness. Originally interested in a Norco Search XR (steel frame/carbon fork), he was piqued by the steel Niner RLT. But now seems highly attracted to an all-steel Kona. At the moment he's leaning towards the Kona Sutra LTD, steel frame and fork, and would build it up with the components he prefers.

MY understanding is 700c is a bit nicer for more pavement riding, whereas 650b offers better/nicer gravel/off-road experiences. I called attention to the Kona Rove ST to consider along with the Kona Sutra LTD, both available as frameset/fork. Geometry is a bit different, both are longer wheelbases than the Norco Search. The Search has shorter top tube length. Neither is available to test ride within 200 miles, so he might have to find a dealer in san francisco or LA that has both to test ride.

My main question.... the Sutra comes with 700c. The Rove is 650b. The Norco Search is listed as both 650b and 700c compliant. Does anyone have any experience with running the opposite factory spec-wheel sizes for the Konas? 700c on the Kona Rove, 650b on the Kona Sutra? Kona's web site doesn't mention that but it seems like it could be done.

Thanks!

eric/fresno, ca.