Old 04-27-19, 08:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Thoughts-

- if you are doing 25mi per day up to 40 with 2-3 days rest between, then there is no need worrying about a steel rack being field repairable. The odds of a rack failing with that expected use is basically 0. 25 to 40mi with 2-3 days off between on some stops for 1-2 weeks means 90-250mi ridden and no rack should break in that time.
For many parts of the US, it's be easier to just buy a new rack wherever you are than find someone to weld the broken rack.

- many panniers have loops to connect rear lights. Those loops will place the lights at the rear of the bike and unobstructed. Always been a great place for me to hang a light(left rear pannier or on rear rack).

- maybe solar panels have improved since I last looked(I assume they have since its been a couple years), but perhaps just the battery pack is needed? You will presumably have a lot of time in camp/restaurants based on your expected ride time, so just plug the power bank into an outlet and call it good.