View Single Post
Old 05-31-19, 12:38 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
One other thing that hasn't been specifically mentioned but only hinted at: Every time that I've had two flats on the same ride, the second has been due to something stupid I did while trying to repair the first. Today I'm MUCH more careful about checking the inside of my tire for whatever caused the puncture and MUCH more careful about making sure the inner tube isn't caught under one of the tire beads.
absolutely this. I made that mistake exactly one time. Now I carefully inspect the inside of the tire with a puncture. For avoiding getting your tube caught, the best remedy is to practice changing tubes, preferably at home, not on the side of the road. I roll all of my spare tubes up in the same way, so they lay flat when installing them, and sprinkle the tubes with talcum powder before rolling them up, so they aren’t tacky and stick to the tire bead or rim when installing them.

simply put, if you do your due diligence, and work smart, then fixing a flat isn’t a long or difficult process. Tubeless makes a lot of sense for off-road as well as on road for racing, not much sense for much else. So for people who think tubeless is so much better than tubes for everyday use, are likely people who don’t work smart. That may be a wide statement, but I’m willing to bet, egos aside, its probably pretty accurate.

Last edited by seamuis; 05-31-19 at 12:46 PM.