Old 06-17-16, 10:02 AM
SquareRounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter for Sciatica Sufferer: Citizen? Coda? Other?

Last summer I had a bout of sciatica pain in my lower back and leg that lasted for several months. My doctor felt that it was exacerbated by my decision to ignore it the first few days and ride my bike to work despite the pain, and advised me to stay off the bike until it was resolved.

A few weeks ago, I got back on my hybridized Nishiki (a road bike that a shop turned into a commuter by changing to thicker wheels and mustache handlebars). I rode around the block slowly in low gear. The next day, the pain was back, and it lasted for two weeks.

I think the problem is the forward leaning position, and I'm hoping that a bike with a more upright position will allow me to keep riding.

My local shop recommended the Jamis Citizen, and said they could set it up to maximize upright posture. They're wiling to make mods and let me try it out before buying, and have ordered one in my size.

The Citizen, gets a lot of good reviews, but some people seem to feel that the Coda is a much better bike for not much more money.

Could the Coda also be set up for upright riding? Are there other bikes I should look at? Or other factors to consider?

Thanks!