Old 06-24-16, 09:52 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquareRounder
Last summer I had a bout of sciatica pain in my lower back and leg that lasted for several months. My doctor felt that it was exacerbated by my decision to ignore it the first few days and ride my bike to work despite the pain, and advised me to stay off the bike until it was resolved.

A few weeks ago, I got back on my hybridized Nishiki (a road bike that a shop turned into a commuter by changing to thicker wheels and mustache handlebars). I rode around the block slowly in low gear. The next day, the pain was back, and it lasted for two weeks.

I think the problem is the forward leaning position, and I'm hoping that a bike with a more upright position will allow me to keep riding.

My local shop recommended the Jamis Citizen, and said they could set it up to maximize upright posture. They're wiling to make mods and let me try it out before buying, and have ordered one in my size.

The Citizen, gets a lot of good reviews, but some people seem to feel that the Coda is a much better bike for not much more money.

Could the Coda also be set up for upright riding? Are there other bikes I should look at? Or other factors to consider?

Thanks!
My Sirrus Sport did it for me. My sciatica (SI Joint) was caused by weight gain and the first thing they did with me at PT was put me on a bike to losen things up. I had gone from 170 to 240 pounds. The Sirrus got me under 200 again and now I've settled in and go between 170 and 180 depending on how much riding I do. Once under 200 I tried drops again and found I could ride comfortably again, though the neck bugs me from time to time on drops. I was having fun with a quick convert of the Sirrus for a while because fidgeting is fun, but I was going back and forth depending on how a felt too often. I'm forever going to have back problems, dad and grandfather had it and my cycling no doubt doesn't help so having both options is a plus, especially when aches and pains come when the weather changes.

Last edited by Allez3; 01-08-17 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling