Old 12-14-19, 03:39 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
Brake pads on mine are jagwire replacements, it has no metal holders. Without those, but if I wanted kool stops, which of their products would work?
I don't know the answer, so I'll answer a different question, that you didn't ask!

I have a tendency to think everyone thinks like me. In this case, I think everyone must want the pads that look like the originals. If you don't care about that, stop reading now, and go buy modern-looking pads.

If your bike came with Weinmann 4-dot pads and you want holders that will take the Kool Stop version that looks almost exactly right, maybe I can help. I have lots of those, surplus to my needs, so I'll sell them for $10 (including shipping) for a set of 4, used and kinda ugly but functional.

You take the old original pads out, and replace them with Kool Stop repros that you purchase wherever better brake pads are sold. The ones you want are model KS-W4SA. They also come in black, but those are dumb because originals are brick colored, close to the KS "Salmon" color, and the Salmons stop better, says everyone. (Not sure if I have noticed the difference myself, but if everyone says so, it must be true.)

Important note: This assumes you have the mechanical skillz to replace brake pads, and remount the holders in your brakes, and do so safely. If you're not sure if you're up to it, take your bike to a good bike shop to have it done. There's no shame in that!

The ones I'm selling are like the middle one in this photo:

(1) The one on the Left is the oldest kind, with no special effort made to keep the pad in if you put it on the bike backward. One end is closed, one end open, so if you put them on with the open end facing forward, the pads will be ejected when you apply the brake, and you'll die. This has actually happened! (but not to me... so far... knock on wood.) Those are not for sale, because they're the kind I like and I don't have scads of them.

(2) The middle one has a lame attempt to keep the pads in if mounted backward. See those sort of ramps where the aluminum of the holder is pushed down into the rubber? (Well, you can only see one of them in this photo, but there's a second one hidden by the nut.) This rampy-thing doesn't work for its intended purpose (not reliably anyway) -- the pad may still self-eject if mounted backward -- so don't do that. Take care to put them on the bike with the closed end facing forward. These are the ones I'm selling.

(3) The ones on the Right are the later style, idiot-proof because both ends of the holder are closed. I can sell those too, same price, but you probably don't want them, because they are the hardest to put Kool Stop rubbers into. Not impossible, but a lot more work.

Here's a picture of the actual pads/holders I'm selling:

Note they're in various states of youth and beauty, from sort of old and ugly to very old and ugly. Once you get the Kool Stop pads in though, they'll probably work fine. Please don't sue me if you die, I'm poor and not worth suing. These are 40-ish-year-old bike parts that were medium-quality at best when new, and now they're used, with an unknown service history.

No guarantee, they're sold "as-is", except you can have your money back if you don't like them for any reason. You just pay the return shipping.

I don't know how many sets like this I have to sell, but it's a few. So this offer is for anyone, not just @rgvg to whom I'm replying.

-Mark