xltiny

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PSYS
this is interesting.

I'm about 6'0" and have a 19.5" 8.2 DS. Got it a couple of weeks ago. I went on my longest ride to date yesterday (about 31 miles) and noticed this issue. I even made it a point to remember that on approx. Mile 21, my hands got just a little "tingly" (for lack of better words). I began alternating my hands as you described in your post. I also feel that my bike, overall, seems to fit me without any issues at all.

I'm not quite sure how bar ends would help alleviate this issue. I'm a newbie though and I don't think I have enough info. I was going to take a trip to my LBS this weekend where I bought my bike to have them watch me ride it again. Maybe there's a minor adjustment of some sort that can be made to the stem, seat post, etc, etc? I've no idea but the tingly hands during my ride was less than pleasant.
I'm a newbie rider too having not biked for a long time. I restarted biking last summer on a beater bike that wasn't sized right( mainly learning to balance again). I got my 8.4 ds towards the end of last summer and transferred my Selle Italia saddle. One thing I noticed was that my bike came with Shimano hydraulic brakes found on the 8.5 instead of the Tektro as well as Shimano hubs. No idea why but I was real happy. I can relate to the other posters about the hands getting numb after 15 mile rides. The bar ends offer more of alternative hand positions which I theorize help because I am gripping the bars too tightly due to lack of core strength.

since last year I have changed to a narrower tire as I have to keep up with my roadie friends, gotten a longer stem added a rack, fenders, and lights on top of the new handlebars and seat.