Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Loss of strength/function in left leg

Hello, all.

I previously posted about this in "fitting your bike" but am now wondering if I should have posted here first.

Around 5 years ago, I had a malignant tumor removed from my left adductor(s). The surgery also removed nearly all the muscle group as well. I can get around OK and at a glance, someone watching me walk/ride would probably not be able to tell that there is a limitation but I can sure feel it.

With the cycling miles really racking up as we are now car-free (and I didn't ride much before and am now averaging 150-175ish miles a week), the differences in strength/flexibility between the legs are coming into sharper relief.

Curious if anyone else has had a similar injury/procedure and how to manage the pain/weakness/fatigue/fit/etc. My biggest problem FEELS like the left leg just can't/won't ever be able to match the power output of the right, but there are other anxiety-inducing thoughts like if I work the left leg too much or in the wrong way, will I be further harming my mobility?

What kind of professional could I seek advice from? An ortho? There was no physical therapy prescribed after my surgery which seemed strange, but everything about that experience was super strange, e.g. I was diagnosed with incurable/untreatable lymphedema after the surgery but after removing the wraps against my doctor's recommendation the swelling went down inside of a week, never to return. In fact, nearly everything about the experience made it seem like the doctors simply had no idea what they were doing or talking about. Very discouraging, but it has always worked out in my favor. I don't believe in miracles.

Sorry for that little digression.

Thanks so much in advance. I feel a little silly for posting here as there are so many who have functional impairments much more serious than mine.