Old 02-06-18, 07:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
This is an old question, probably one that many of you have not considered since you were new in the sport: Step in pedals: float or no float? I've been on old style clips and straps and this is new (again) to me. I was assuming no float, but then with setting up my new shoes my LBS did not have the no float cleats, and I'm stuck with 4.5˚ for now. But I kinda like it. Is this wrong? What are the arguments against float for a sprinter?
No-float.

Every track sprinter that I've noticed uses no-float cleats. Male or female, elite or masters, national level and above, the sprinters all used no-float cleats. You can spot them. Shimano 0-float cleats have red "pontoons" (rubber grippy things on the outside of the cleat). The LOOK 0-float cleats are black.

Originally Posted by brawlo
Vision track crankset. Not made of unobtainium like the other sexy cranksets
This is probably the best answer.

They are inexpensive and currently being used by the fastest men's Team Sprint team in the world right now.

They don't have the history of reliability or pedigree of Sugino, Dura Ace, or SRM. So, no one knows how well they age being that they are new.

With that being said, "aero" cranks will not make one faster. Between the dirty air coming off of the front wheel, the turbulence added by the down tube, the legs and feet churning along side and above the cranks, a tapered edge here and there will simply go unnoticed.

...but, advertising cranks as being aero is a great way to sell cranks