Thread: Impatient boy
View Single Post
Old 09-19-18, 09:22 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMan2k
Thanks for the replies. I had not considered balance bikes because in my mind I was thinking they were for kids under 3.

I think I will try taking the training wheels and the pedals off of my son's bike and teaching him to push and balance on it and go from there. Maybe the size of the bike is too constrictive now for him to comfortably pedal and we're just adding an obstacle.

Thanks for the link for the Islabikes website and sizing info. I did not know there were quality mountain bikes available for small kids but that is a good thing to keep in mind.
Yup, that’s probably it. And if you do buy another bike for him, don’t buy a BMX bike. Take it from me, a guy who loves BMX bikes: a tall, skinny kid who is having trouble learning will not do well on one at first. Wrong geometry. He’ll be too stretched-forward, and won’t feel securely centered unless he stands up somewhat, which he won’t, cause he’s not strong or experienced enough a rider yet.

What you you need is simple, lightweight yes, but also upright and not too long up front from seat to stem, except with a long, stable rear triangle so it’s not twitchy. Sloping top tube helps. Good luck!