Old 12-24-18, 09:10 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I don't think the assignation of these bike configurations to certain demographics is correct, and I fail to see any benefit in trying to do so. I've been riding drop bar frames since about 1970, and rarely have I set my bars more than 2 cm below the saddle height. I would not try to explain the situation before I could describe the situation with some confidence.

Why are you trying to generalize this aspect of bike setup, i.e. why is it important? I feel like it is important for me to establish, perhaps to write down, what I do. It is not important to me to try to find a universal viewpoint, even for the set of all 65 yo road bike riders. Not even for the much smaller set of BF50+ 65 yo road bike riders.

If it comfortable for you, and allows you to control, ride, train, and progress, then it is a good position.
Not sure what Road Fan is taking exception to here? Certainly age or natural variations in leg, arm, trunk length......should be considered in relation to bike fit? I believe downhill racers typically orient their weight differently than those who ride more uphill or flater trails.....

At some point some aspect of bike geometry has to be discussed in regard to bike fit if we want to discuss bike fit. Arguably the relationship between handlebar and seat height is as good a place to start as any. Certainly such things as crank length are more controversial. If we throw crank length into this equation, maintaining the same saddle height & handlebar height will change even if we want the same distances. I understand that these subjects are interrelated which is why I elected to start with the fairly simple relationship between handlebar and seat height.

Last edited by McMitchell; 12-24-18 at 11:08 AM.