DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Tire:
Hutchinson Overide TR 700x35. Mounts to 36mm wide on 19mm internal wheel.
Tread pattern:
Smooth/file tread center strip, staggered diamond/triangle knobs at edges, "happy medium" style. Sidewalls are smooth.
Construction:
127tpi, tubeless ready construction, maximum pressure 87psi. Dual-compound rubber, tires usually weigh 350-360g each.
Performance on pavement:
Excellent. I routinely do all-paved rides on my CX bike of 18-19mph average. They roll exceptionally well.
Performance on firm and smooth gravel:
These are the tires I have crowned "the best all-around tire there is." I take them places they have absolutely no business going, and they never complain-- and because I (almost) never drive a car to where I'm going to ride, they're usually out on fire roads, access roads, and singletrack pumped up to road pressures. They do well even on blown-out sand over clay, inflated to +65psi.
Performance on deep or soft gravel:
Well, they act like a slick here, so there's oft times some walking. At least at my weight, if there's too much give to the surface, no amount of tread will help, only width.
Durability:
The tire currently mounted to my front wheel was installed on January 18, 2018, and has logged just shy of 5,000 miles. I have recorded zero puncture flats. I lost a rear tire very early in it's live after running over not one but two drywall screws. They went all the way through and punctured my rim tape. I had to use a screwdriver to remove them. They have been otherwise trouble-free. The replacement rear tire wore to the cords, and the one that replaced that is at ~1,400 miles. Barring incident, I generally get 3,000-3,500 out of a rear tire.
Ride:
Running them tubeless @ 65-70psi. The feel like road tires. They have enough volume to be comfortable, but they're not heavy or sluggish. The knobs are usually just enough for off-road, and I never even notice them on the pavement. The review from CX Magazine summed them up very well (paraphrased The Overide excels on pavement, bad roads, and dirt and gravel hardpack paths. The smooth center tread holds the Overide back when conditions get loose or sloppy. It won't win any tractor pull contests in deep gravel or loose dirt. There's no tall center knob to cut through loose gravel, and certainly not enough side knob to offer much confidence in wet and slippery off-road surfaces. But it stands as a superbe Pavé tire, one that thrives at the intersection between rough roads and gravel.