View Single Post
Old 12-25-18, 03:30 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks B Carfree for some insight into the situation in Oregon!

The other thread on e-bikes was shut down but I was going to add that I was in a local bike shop the other day and one of the mechanics mentioned that e-bike sales have basically taken over and are selling in bunches through word of mouth. All of the bikes at the front of the shop are e-bikes.

He did not say but clearly implied that standard bikes were on their way out. He was already talking about them in the past tense.

As far as the maturity of the technology, I would say that 2019 is the first year when all of the major manufacturers have e-bikes designed from the ground up as e-bikes. In years past, many or most were simply standard bicycles with a large battery bolted on. Just slap your forehead "doh!" Homer Simpson type designs. Now, frame designs fully integrate the battery and motor and e-bike specific components are the norm: chains and tires for example. Specialized is charging a mint for their e-bikes and standard bikes but at least their R&D budgets are yielding good results: they've achieved a 40% increase in battery capacity with the same sized battery.

The tech curve is going to shoot sharply upwards from here on out with e-bikes entering the mainstream, available budgets ballooning and nicer and nicer designs becoming the norm.

This is not to say that all designs are uniformly impressive. There are clear duds and not quite there yet designs abound still. These are still early days. But it's relatively easy to find an e-bike which you would be proud to own and significantly fewer which are a distinct embarrassment a la Trek's Springboard rear suspension bikes.
Likes For radroad: