View Single Post
Old 12-26-18, 10:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
Here you HAVE to pay a year's insurance up front, and it's a couple of thousand, unless you can qualify for monthly payments, which I don't because I haven't had car insurance in this province before.
And in places where there are no roads, people cannot drive. Where I lived when I separated my shoulder, I could make insurance payments--four in a year--with a financing fee.

Originally Posted by Buglady
And I disagree vehemently with your "that is not an issue", but I have no idea where to even start, because it seems we are coming at this from totally opposing worldviews. To me, purchasing a car makes no sense whatsoever if I literally DO NOT HAVE the budget required to run it.
You need to read my posts before you comment---as you suggested I do.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
If we are going to Rationally discuss social trends, we have to use a point of view closer to the majority of people and Not our own.
You work in an e-bike store and prefer to cycle to work. Potentially you have noticed … most people do Not work in e-bike stores, or even bike stores---and for every bike you pass, 500 cars pass you? And to all those drivers, the increased cost of owning a car is Proven not to be an issue—because they operate cars, not bikes.

Also … yes I come from a different mindset than you. I live in a Shared reality, filled with people who drive and who think I am crazy because I bike everywhere. Actually, you live in that same reality ... but apparently you ignore all the other people.

So, to me, buying a car is not crazy … not for others, and not for me. I keep a car in my driveway because it is more convenient to have it, in case I need it, that to try to rent a car for occasional use. I have only driven once since April …. (and had a bike on the rack, to ride when I arrived) but the car allowed me to do what I needed, and I didn’t have to take time to arrange a rental, drop-off and pick-up, and all that. Worth it to me.

Difference between you and I? I don’t assume everyone who thinks differently is wrong. Just different.

E-biking Might grow, but it will still only serve a very small percentage of the population. Most people Prefer cars for reasons of comfort and utility, and don’t mind the cost.

You can out as big a trailer on your e-bike as you like, but you aren’t going to get four kids to different day cares and schools, along with all their sports equipment, book bags, and handhelds, and still get to work on time in most parts of North America.

All you have to do is stand on the side of any road anywhere in North America and you will see that the automobile or some variation thereon is by a HUGE margin the chosen form of transport. Motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles, and now e-bikes are all options—chosen by what one percent of the road users?

Anyway … people here love to argue. People don’t like to listen to one another and synthesize new points of view. It is always “With me or against me.”

You win.