Old 01-23-19, 08:23 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Terraplane
Yes, that is the bike. (I tried to respond earlier at work and my response got deleted because I quoted your link!) I do plan on about 3" tires too. Have looked at Jones bikes but was wanting another ti frame and like my BD ti cross bike. Jones ti is $$$$. I looked at building the bike with the BD frame and after it all is done would pretty much spend the same money and can live with most of the setup. Cockpit will likely change. I have a good seat. Had thought about selling the hydro brakes as new take offs.
Are the Novatec hubs still bad? I have read most every thread on fat bikes here and seemed like fewer complaints. The wheels that come with this bike would get only occasional use and probably no bikepacking. I found a company making relatively inexpensive wheels by hand with SunRingle hubs and Duroc rims but don't know much about the hubs. I have a local shop that will build wheels if I go that route.
Bikes are in stock to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for your thoughts.

Terraplane
I don't have experience with Sun Ringle hubs, but they are not considered to be great either. I wouldn't use them on the Great Divide... For a Long tour or any new wheel I'd look at Bitex, DT Swiss, CK, or whatever other 1st tier brand you like.
the novatec hubs are not good for more than a few thousand miles depending on your riding. All the lower end fatbike hubs have issues, no matter what bike brand you use. The fewest manufacturers use DT Swiss et al (like the Canyon dude). but if you don't use them a lot (2 wheelsets as you plan), they likely will last a few years. I replaced mine last fall when the pawls started to skip. I probably could have ridden some more weeks, but didn't want to risk to damage the "jewels" when the pawls fail on a steep uphill or deal with hub replacement in snow season.

Yes the Jones is expensive compared to BD. Especially the Ti versions. I never rode one, but everyone who has one seems to love it, especially the comfort. If you have sow or sand, the fatbike is more useful.