Old 02-10-19, 01:45 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
two things --first, I'd be very careful of mud with the fender clearances, as it would be pretty easy to catch stuff and or build up stuff and fold the end bits of the fender under the wheels. I've only ridden in sticky mud a few times, but it did surprise me how much it stuck and built up and had to scraped off with a stick where the tires were close to the frame---but again, not a common occurance, but be aware anyways.
My limited impression is that with knobbies, stuff accumulates worse, specifically mud, compared to more roadish tires.

second--about a suspension fork, and back to mev's specifics.
I was mightily impressed by how mev's front suspension fork didnt have problems on his Americas trip. So many kilometers and a pretty heavy load, I would be concerned about the Russia trip about fork problems, but then I guess its no different than being out in South America, isolation wise.
I could see how a suspension fork certainly could be nice if you would be on roads like in the photos, and I guess if thats the way you want to go fork wise, you would certainly want a similar robust, simple fork. Goes back to the old, "if it aint broken, don't fix it" thing.
I hear you about the mud.
Mostly I think this will be for gravel backroads of which we have a lot in BC and the fenders tend to keep grit off the drive train. I've also thought just a flat extension off the rear rack would keep my back clean if I ditch them.
I made a mistake earlier, the knobbies are 2.10. I think without an aggressive thread I could go up to 2.5 before the chainstays rub up front but I have these tires and will use them until they wear out. They replaced my 1.75 Marathons which are a great tough tire but I found myself losing traction and spinning out on uphill gravel and grass. With a 22/36 gear ratio I can climb some steep stuff. For touring I might find a compromise between the two extremes.

MEC has this: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-4...1%22-Wire-Tire

Or this: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5028-2...-2-4-Wire-Tire

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-10-19 at 01:55 PM.