Old 02-22-19, 10:15 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 376 Posts
I toured some of the central Islands by motorcycle a decade ago and in years prior toured some of Luzon via car as well as visited family several times and spent time in rural villages on medical missions. Outside of the insanity of Manila and the general traffic chaos near urban areas, it is a friendly and beautiful place. As in many places, there is some risk, particularly in poorer urban areas and tourist areas targeted by petty thieves. But once you are out in the beautiful countryside, you are among farmers and locals that are more likely to help than harm.

I’ve always stayed with family or in hotels while there, so I cannot comment on camping options from experience. I bet if you talked to the local priest (it’s a Catholic country with some of the oldest churches in Asia) in any town, they’d either let you camp on the church grounds or help you find a place to stay.

Hotels are generally affordable unless you are in a major city or resort area but there aren’t many out in the countryside.

My biggest piece of advice would be to get out of Manila as soon as possible, and not by riding. Catch a plane to Panglao and tour Bohol. Or catch a place to Cebu City or Ili Ilo. Anywhere but Manila.

My motorcycle trip was a trip of a lifetime. Best of luck to anyone that tours by bike.