Thread: Rowan
View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 06:25 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I just have been browsing through this thread to refresh my memory about all the wonderful people who provided their support by posting on it.

The cycling has been OK for me. Machka has now arranged for us to do 50km rides a month under the Australian Audax system. So that means having the rides' starts, finishes and maybe a checkpoint signed. The 12 done in any of the consecutive months are recorded after finishing as normal randonnees, and there is an award at the end of the year.

There are two other categories that I am hoping to eventually aim for -- 100km a month, and 160km a month (the traditional century distance). At least I think that is how it works.

Machka also has expressed some interest in doing a little exploring at other places, so I have serviced her GT mountain bike, and my old AvantiMTB is back in shape.

I have also converted her original bike that introduced her to racing, a Venture, which ended up too big for her, to a single-speed with a twin-gear hub. I do love my fixed-gear and still do ride it, but in the hllly country becomes a bit of a challenge for me... so flat territory is much preferred on it, whereas the Venture will be able to take a lot of the hills up and down.

There are some other options, including the Bike Fridays, but I really can't go out in the home city without Machka being with me. I still have no driver's licence access because of the brain injury, and frankly, I am a lot concerned about the behaviour of drivers in my area. Which isn't just me -- I had a neuro-psych appointment yesterday and she lives not far from me, and agreed that drivers generally in this city have become dreadful. Sadly, the reminds me of Pcad, and how sad I am he still not around.

So... apart from that, I hope everyone in this 50-plus group is good and healthy in what has been difficult times everywhere in world. Oh, and part of the great news is that Machka finished off her Masters Degree at university.