Old 03-10-15, 12:54 PM
dpostelnicu

Bikes: 2007 Victorie LeMond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
As Biker395 says, 50 pounds in six months is a lot. That said, the key to actually losing weight and biking is creating a realistic diet and sticking to it. Use the diet to control your weight loss and biking to build muscle and fitness. Until you get accustomed to biking (or any vigorous exercise), you're going to have to fight the tendency to overeat because you'll likely feel ravenous after exercise and replace more calories than you need.

This phenomenon is why some advocate eating 4 or 5 "smaller meals" in a day rather than the traditional three. It helps you pace yourself and get over the initial hump. The starving feeling will go away over time.
Thank you for the reply, Yes and I agree with both. 50 is unrealistic maybe, but not impossible. 6 months is 26 weeks at 2lb/week recommended weight loss, that is 52 lbs. Of course this is extremely strict diet. like I have learn, at current weight I need 2500 calories/day to maintain without exercise. To loose 2 lbs a week I need to have 7000 less a week so that means 1000 / day or 1500 intake without exercise. with exercise add additional amount of calories in good food, but not over do it (which is extremely easy). The human boy gets more efficient in burning calories and tends to hold on to the fat.
But this is the gotcha, as I loose wight the calories recommended intake decrease, the workout burn ration decreases to the point where it dips below 1200/day. This is the min amount recommended for anyone, any lower and that is starvation mode.

I know it is common for cyclist to put on the pounds over winter and slowly get them off in the early season. Has anyone lost more than 30lbs in a season?