View Single Post
Old 02-01-06, 11:51 AM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ephemeron
Amazon sells US subscriptions -- $76.28/year, which is enough that I haven't gotten around to it yet but a considerable improvement over $9/issue at Borders.
Thanks for posting the link to the "Cycling Plus" subscriptions. I'm a bit hesitant though...getting CP from London to Houston would give the post office in three different countries (UK, USA, RT) a chance to rip, shred, or destroy each issue.

I've been buying it from a neighborhood family-owned magazine store. Mom and Dad stock the shelves while their kids study, do homework, or play. During the Holidays, the owners put up a tree covered with "wishes" from children living in homeless shelters. Very specific requests: size four blue sweater, size two white tennis shoes, or a Hispanic Barbie doll. They hoped that customers would take one of the "wishes" off the tree and bring in the requested items. But, the customers brought in very few gifts. So, the owners spent two days buying dozens of very specific gifts for each child...they spent a small fortune to make sure each child got a gift.

So, although it stings to pay $8 or $9 for a magazine, supporting that magazine shop makes it a bit less painful.