View Single Post
Old 03-28-24, 10:42 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by crashBangWallop
So the question is - is the idea just too faulty or perhaps did I just have something set up wrong?
Some thoughts -

The quick release is allen-key type - was planning to use a pentagon key one for bike theft safety.
The fork ends are totally flat and since the frame was powder coated relatively smooth - maybe this was a contributory factor.
Would safety tab washers work to prevent the wheel ejecting? Would a aerated safety washer do the job as well?
Could I make a safety washer that bolts into the mudguard eyelet to retain the wheel in emergency?
The axle lock nuts should bite into the inner faces of the fork ends to secure the wheel, without needing the qr to add much grip on the outside - sounds like you just didn't tighten the qr enough, the rack legs probably don't help the clamping force any. But disc-brake wheel ejection is a known phenomenon - the easy way to counter it is to mount the caliper on the front of the RHS fork leg, then the reaction force isn't in the direction of the open fork end (but manufacturers instead went with through-axles). Tab washers don't address the actual problem, but I guess ok as a short term solution.