Old 11-08-16, 05:02 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
From Bradleykd

I have not ridden a + bike yet. I really dislike fat bikes because, when you lean them over, you have to fight the front wheel from turning. Does the mid-fat do this, but to a lesser degree, or does the slacker headtube angle make it stable enough that it doesn't happen?

I too rode several full fat bikes, leaning them over without that fight you speak of or at least minimizing It took great care In Tire pressure decisions. But the problem was my changing trail conditions, Stopping before sandy blown out corners to change psi then stopping again to change it for down hill runs,,not practical.
My Biggest dislike was when I'd pick up speed fast down a drop,, those full fat tires really did start bouncing like a basket ball. The back end spent very little time on the ground, not my cup of tea.

And the gyro effect of that much mass made it very hard no matter how wide the handlebars were, made it very hard to change the direction of that massive gyroscope wheel.

My new bike did none of this, slacker geo ? maybe I don't know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always hear people praising the + bikes for beginner riders. From what I hear, they will slow down a professional because of added rolling resistance and weight, but for the beginner, they have no effect on speed, but handle way more comfortably. I guess this plays into that slacker HT angle keeping the wheel from wanting to flop on you.

I am no pro but they did not slow me down they let me, let loose, as I stated I got personal records on my first ride in places I had stopped getting them for months per Strava.
Wheel flop, never noticed any bad handling traits, as often Is the case as soon as I learned to lean the bike over more to let the bike go It,,, wen't. As often discovered a bike does better when the rider learns not to get In the way , follow me ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome back to the hardtail world! I ride some pretty gnarly logs, rocks, and roots, and I prefer the hardtail to the full suspension. Sometimes on long rough rides, when I start sitting down more, I wish I had it, but I feel so much more control over the back wheel with a hardtail.

Bingo ! I agree, that's what I missed most from my first hard tail.....

The only Hard Tail plus bike I just got to ride with a steeper head tube was a Specialized Fuse, a lower spec'd bike at about $1300 The head tube angle was only I think 1 degree steeper, the ride should have been similar but It was not.
I did not like the feel at all, too planted, too much tire, Steering was too light for my taste and It had 3.0" wide tires plus the rims looked narrower, I did not measure them. The bike felt way too tall, didn't like being perched up there.
The bike was twitchy but It could have simply been too much air in the tires, and I know for a fact that Is a performance robber on plus bikes.

I suspect that bike set up with a better fork and time to make it fit me and 2.8" wide tires with a bit wider rims,
I bet after all this The Fuse would be close to mine In feel, a single degree of head tube angle should not be that big of a deal but a second degree as on other makers plus bikes IMO would be bad.

It's been said and I agree 110% that tire pressure and fork set up Is critical with these plus bikes,

First time I took mine for a quick spin with tubes and 20 psi the ride was crappy but I knew why and was sure of how to correct it.
Tubed and down to 16 ish psi the bike was sluggish still. The tires fighting the tube Inside, this effect Is amplified because these plus tires have very tall sidewalls.

Tubes are like brake drag against the tire sidewall fighting the tire on every flex over every bump and lean angle.
I believe this has a greater negative effect on handling far more than does tube weight.

Once the tubes were gone the bike was transformed Into IMO a fast smooth trail bike....

Last edited by osco53; 11-08-16 at 05:28 AM.