View Single Post
Old 08-09-19, 02:27 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Back in the 70's we sold some Crescent's bikes. The mid range non Campy Pepitas came with Suntour dropouts instead of Campy's. We had a number of the drive side Suntour dropouts break. We though that they were made of a steel that got hard from cooling too fast and ended up being brittle???

They were a different model dropout than the OP's but maybe the same cause/issue???

This not to scale drawing show that spreading a 120mm rear triangle to 126mm without realigning the dropout leaves them sitting with a 5° toe in (assuming they they were properly aligned to begin with). Going from 120mm to 130mm leaves the dropout even more misaligned.

Not only does the misalignment put stress in the dropouts but causes the axle to bend enough when the QR is clamped down to result in uneven wear on the cones. They will be angled in at the same amount as the dropouts. This causes uneven wear in the cups too and can lead to bent or broken rear axles.

It's not just frames that have been spread, I've seen a lot of brand new high end bikes and frames with misaligned dropouts.

I bought this pair of Campy Dropout Alignment Tools in 1975 and I've used them on most bikes that I've worked on. One of my best bike tool investments.

Here's a YouTube video from RJ the Bike Guy that shows how to make a set of DIY dropout gauges with some cheap hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsU8IkkFaok

Over a 2 week period a few years back I ran into a brand new stem with a crack, a crank arm with a crack and when I checked out what looked like a scratch in the paint, a cracked dropout.

I stripped paint off the "scratched" area and sure enough...

I had a frame builder friend TIG weld it for me. The dropout broke when he ground the V notches in so it was ready to go. It was a Shimano UF dropout which had a reputation for cracking in that area.

He ran a TIG bead on the inside and outside of the broken area, shot it with some primer and voilą. The weld will be stronger than the dropout.

TIG welding is a lot easier and results in much less stress in the stays than replacing the whole dropout.

verktyg
I think you may have an error in your dropout toe in angle value. Using a 120mm to 126mm change of spacing means a change of 3mm per side. So, a triangle with a height of 3mm and a base of 430mm (the amount of angular change when increasing the rear spacing by 3mm per side) would be 0.2 degrees (per side). I used an angle calculator online.
So I'm saying, if the dropouts were aligned to begin with at 120mm, spreading to 126mm, would result in a 0.2 degree misalignment.
Please check me, but I think I'm right.

Last edited by Hobbiano; 08-09-19 at 02:31 PM.