View Single Post
Old 01-18-20, 09:45 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Go to a few bike shops, test ride a few bikes. A good shop will sell you the bike that fits your need, not just what they want to sell you. They will ask lots of questions, and spend time with you to put you on the right bike.
We have several shops close by, offering a broad selection of brands The shop I personally have appreciated the most over the years in terms of great service is also the shop that tried to sell my sister (before she asked me for help) and did sell to my neighbor, bikes that were completely inappropriate for them. In these cases two different sales persons were involved. My neighbor brought over her brand new bike,she was so proud. I stood in horror, but couldn't immediately tell her what they had done. Background: my neighbor has wrist and ankle issues, having had surgery on both. She's a first time road cyclist, having previously ridden a comfort bike only. They sold her a mid-price range race geometry bike with a 52/39 crankset. We live in a hilly (mountainous) area, and unless you're young and/or tough, a compact crankset is a minimum, especially given her physical conditions (which she confirmed she had disclosed to the salesperson), and her age eligibility in this forum.

But not all was lost - I know the owner of the store and called him to my concerns. They bought the bike back from my neighbor and a week later sold her an appropriate road bike. I still have faith in the bike shop, however can not recommend anyone go there blindly assuming that they will be sold the best bike for their needs. I am in no way discrediting the bike shop, they did the right thing. Simply suggesting that as consumers we need to inform ourselves or take someone along to the bike shop who is reasonably informed. My sister ended up buying her bike from another one of the local shops.