Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've done it myself all my life. ...

One does a series of operations.
1) Determine saddle height. I use the heel on pedal method, then modify a hair by feel.
2) Determine saddle fore and aft position. I mess with it until my hands feel light on the bars.
3) Bar height. Whatever feels good, generally between level with saddle and 6" below saddle. Mine are ~10cm below saddle.
4) Set reach. Your upper arms should make a 90° angle with your straight torso, hands on hoods, forearms horizontal. Use a mirror.
5) Go back to #1 and try it all again. Usually something has changed. Keep messing with it until your pedaling feels strong. Keep stretching and working your back until your position feels good. Keep your back straight between your shorts top and shoulder blades. Get fit rather than degrade fit.
Sounds about right. Bike fit for more serious cycling needs to be individually designed, but you can most certainly fit yourself. I would add that during step #2 you should focus on getting the position you want over the cranks set. So saddle height and angle, position over cranks, bar height, reach (to bar top, hoods and drops). Also don’t forget bar width, bar angle, bar profile, bar end flare or not, pedal float and Q factor, and brake lever position and reach. Test and readjust one thing at a time till you get it all right or you need to change your fit for your evolving life.

It it will be considerably more time consuming and involve a good deal or trial and error, especially if you are learning as you go like me, but it’s a rewarding and enjoyable part of cycling to figure it all out, too.

Good luck!