View Single Post
Old 09-21-18, 02:57 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Taking this at face value and responding firmly but without malice, I would say the sentiment is good and shared by many including myself (you might be surprised at who here has actually worked to preserve natural settings) but it does not reflect the reality of life and is therefore not effective as a model for change. In my 50's I have come to think two things:

Life is not always fair and...

It is far better to focus inwardly on what I can change about my behavior instead of pointing outward to what others should do. This "modeling" may be the most important thing I can do to instruct others how to interact with the natural world with a sense of authenticity that makes them consider change. Think of Dick Proenneke of "Alone in the Wilderness" and how many he inspired.

Holding lofty idealistic ideology rarely effects change because it ignores the reality of how life works for others (talks over them instead of with them) and those who do so rarely work within the system for change. They often disconnect, become bitter with society and in some cases become marginalized socially and ideologically. I tend to love nature and love people too, as they are also a part of nature. Crazy.. frustrating... but mostly just seeking what they think will make them happy. To effect change in that case it is valuable to show those people how conserving nature works to make them, and future generations, happy and I think NP's do a good job of trying to communicate that message.
I have no need to whitewash or sugarcoat anything. Pragmatism works in the ways that it works, but there's no reason to not air for ideals. The reality is that if someone like me can grasp the notion of putting nature and sustainability first and making lifestyles fit within that, then anyone can. There's really no excuse, no matter how you sugar coat the failure.