View Single Post
Old 07-16-08, 10:25 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Interesting review and your views reflect mine about the trailer. I too had travelled around 1000 miles with mine heavily loaded and found the tracking superb.
I made a couple of mods which you may like to consider. I thought there would be problems with the bags' contents rubbing the fabric of the mudguard against the internal frame so I wrapped the frame at these points with pipe insulation and secured this with cable clips.
Again, on tour I found that as the plastic mudguard is held between the forks by pressure, the bags pressing inwards compressed the mudguard and allowed it to spring out and foul the wheel. I fixed this by making a small hole in the mudguard and securing it in place by a cable clip. Both mods were easy to do but I think were well worth while.
As to the safety of the yoke on the rear wheel you should have no concerns as I have found, as have my friend who uses the trailer for off-road work, that no amount of abuse results in it coming loose.
Regarding the steel clip used to tension the hammocks, I thought that a much better solution to this would be one of those stainless-steel devices used to secure the sheets on sailing boats. This would be simple and more effective I think.
Good luck on your trip.