Old 07-15-14, 08:11 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
On the hoods. I don't know the last picture I have of me on the hoods before the ones from Sunday. It also illustrates the pulling over the top that I do. I'm doing a little out of saddle effort to stay on the back over the tiny hill at Walnut Hill Park, New Britain CT. I was at the limit in this race, the Cat 3s, and in fact I couldn't move up effectively in the last lap nor could I do a full sprint at the finish.

I like the follow shot because it illustrates the whole "smart racing" thing. There's a ferocious wind hitting us from the front left on the next straight. This means sheltering on the right. Myself (3rd wheel of the tight trio), Pat G (2nd wheel, multi time Nat Champ, former Olympian), we're both sheltering hard. We happen to be near the back of the field, and if you look at the shots before these there aren't that many riders this conscious of setting up the shelter on the next straight. Like what is the rider with the white helmet thinking? Or the one in orange. They're both hitting a LOT of wind for no valid reason. The guy in front of both of us is another multi time Nat Champ, former Olympian. He seems to revel in riding just off the wheels, he'll also roll along in the 53-54-55x11 for much of the race, etc.

Hanging on for dear life. At the very back.

All pictures: My camera/card, shot by David Wells (teammate).
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson