View Single Post
Old 11-20-18, 08:41 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
So... for those of you with intel: can you direct me to the1000 km rides that aren't a cloverleaf? I know about LOL and it is a great ride, but I've already done that one.
I haven't done this route but I think it's on the Ontario schedule for next year: Manitoulin 1000. I've ridden about 600km of it though, the first bit on Manitoulin up to Espanola on tours, and the last 300 I've done on a few brevets, a fleche and on tours too... and the bit between Parry Sound and Huntsville is on the Granite Anvil and it's really nice riding. Once you're off Manitoulin Island there's about 500km of Canadian shield country so lots of trees and granite everywhere. If you're lucky you'll see moose or even a bear. The transition back to southern farmland is neat and then last bit of the ride is along the Niagara Escarpment so there some climbing but nothing too intense.

The first time they ran this route there was some limited support and given the remote nature of the ride they will likely be some supported stops along the way. I think there were 6 riders that did it on the first go and they all had a good ride. Last time it ran on the first weekend of August so if that happens again I'm not sure that I'd do it and go to PBP but I've wanted to do this ride since it's pretty local. It does involve a a ferry ride across part of Lake Huron the night before and leaving your car at the finish.

Last edited by clasher; 11-20-18 at 09:02 PM.