Old 06-28-19, 05:30 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Unbelievably tight KMC 10sp quick link!

Came to give my bike the once over before setting out for a ride on Sunday. Brand new KMC X10.93 chain fitted (now called simply X10, the new black/silver type in the hard plastic case) and quick link that came with the chain in the box. Lubed chain, cleaned off excess, checked brakes, gears etc. All good. Came to wipe off chain once again to see if there was any more excess last night and noticed that I couldn't open the quick link. I tried absolutely everything, no joy. I have always been able to remove KMC quick links using only my fingers, even if they've been a little tough sometimes. I flexed the chain, added more lube to the quick link, tried GT85, tried the wire around the link trick, tried the needle nose pliers trick. Nothing! In the end, I had to cut the quick link through with a hacksaw, this way I able to remove the chain from the bike, and then get some pliers to get the left over pieces off the chain. Maybe I should have just left the quick link on the chain, until it had worn a little bit, but I doubt that I would have been able to release it even then.

I've never known anything like it. Has anyone had any hassle with new chains/quicklinks from KMC? I'm quite reluctant to add another.