Old 08-03-19, 06:24 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
How much fitness
Originally Posted by Roadlizzard
Everyone please give me your thoughts, I'm 70 yo have low blood pressure have fantastic cholesterol numbers, I ride 500 miles a month, walk 80 miles a month and work out at the gym with weights three times a week for about 5 hours a week.

I have been riding for 6 years and during those six years I have ridden as hard and as fast as I could…

I have finally decided that I don't really need to ride this hard,the last couple ride I have ridden with a slower group and smelled the roses and look at the world.

Does anyone think I really need to push myself that hard all the time. I not ever going to race so why do I need all that speed? All comments are welcome. THANKS
I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m a 40+ year [long] cyclist and I ride mainly for fitness. My training tool is the Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE) Scale, and I use cadence to chose gears to maintain my desired exertion.

My basic training is…[follow the link]
My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program.

I do have the advantages of a very nice minimum 14 mile one way commute that is easily extended; and a high end, very comfortable carbon fiber road bike that encourages riding.
I also have mileage goals, including weekly cumulative miles, depending on the weather and what I'm training for:
How many miles is a "good ride”

I have previously posted that I consider a “ride,” worthy of suiting up, going out, and warming up to be at least 10 miles (my one-way commute is 14). I consider a “good” (long) ride, e.g. on a weekend for training, or on a tour, to be at least 40 miles.
What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...”

I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-03-19 at 07:49 AM.