Old 09-11-13, 01:27 PM
Woolly Mammoth

Bikes: road:2005 Trek 2300 Track: TBD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track newbie needs help!

Hello everyone. I'm really interested in getting into track cycling, been riding the road for 8 years now. I have so many questions about the track, and Bike Forums looks like it is a place full of answers. I guess a little about myself. I have been itching to get into track racing for a year now, and live an hour away from a velodrome. Of course, 2 things seem to be in short supply these days, time and money.

I guess the first thing I'm asking is it possible to be half way decent at track with maybe, at best, getting one day a week of training on the track?

If the answer if yes, what do I need to get started? I know a track bike, and I DON'T pretend that have have great knowledge of bikes! I've been looking at the Fuji Track 1.1 and the Felt TK2. The local bike shop that I deal with is a Fuji dealer, so I lean that way. But what is with them putting brakes on it this year? I figure you can take them off, but does it mess up the look of the frame? If anyone has any input on these or other suggestions let me have it.

What other purchases will it take to get started? A roller?

With my limited time on the track, what do I do for training?

I know there are probably days worth of answers to these questions, but it will be a start. Like I said, just really excited to get on the track. Thanks everyone for the time you take to answer and a great forum.