Old 10-19-17, 05:57 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Travelling solo is truly all about yourself as a person. Some people need other people around them constantly, and some do not. My mother was 1 of 14 in her family, and she was never alone her entire life. After my father died, she had to spend a lot of time alone, and it was tough. I'm 1 of 3, and I was born 7 years ahead of my next sibling. We lived in a very small village in Maine, and I was the only boy. There were five other kids in town - all girls - and they shunned me, of course. I grew up a loner and prefer it that way to this day. All I need is my wife and my kids/grandkids.

Everyone thinks I'm a kook with my desires to ride across the USA and stuff like that. There's nobody in my life that is suitable or capable of touring with me, so I just shrug me shoulders and ride alone. Its sad and empty sometimes, but I pull myself up and get on with it.

I don't get bored easily. All I need is a good view or a babbling brook to hold my interest. I like to watch birds and squirrels and bugs do their thing. I like the feel of the wind on my face and the flickering and clacking of the leaves in the trees. I keep a journal, and I write my thoughts in it, and record events of the day. Once its dark I hit the sack. Simple. Cathartic.