Old 10-26-17, 09:58 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 354 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
+1. That sums up almost all of my riding, daily or multiday. Although any interactions are mainly incidental or started by someone else. I am happy just being a passive analyzing casual observer of people and places. I fly and travel a lot solo for work and although no bike involved, it's an identical experience. I don't think I'd like it any other way.
I need distractions at home: internet, radio, reading, tv. But I can happily ride for hours and not feel bored.
I liked your "observer of people and places" description.

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I did a three-week solo 1100 mile ride back in 1980. That was a much faster pace of almost 100 miles/day when I was riding (two out of the three weeks). A lot of 'get-there-itis' on that trip!

Now that I'm much older and a little wiser (or like to think I am ) I have planned out a three-week 1040-mile ride/tour around the perimeter of Ohio. Yes, it is that far following the borders! There are towns every 45-60 miles that I plan to overnight. that's only 3-4 hours of riding per day (and also allowing one day off per week) Start riding at 8am, finish by noon-ish before it gets too warm. I plan to spend some time looking up the local history or visiting historic sites along the way. Every town has some interesting history! With the rest of my afternoons, I am free to do laundry - walk around the town - talk to the locals - eat at local greasy-spoon diners - buy other foodstuffs at roadside produce stands or local markets. In other words, I want to ENJOY the ride!!
On your route, don't miss the free (for bikes and walkers) ferry ride to historic Augusta KY. And you might even want to continue along KY Route 8 to Cincinnati, a nice road for riding. (You may have to wait a little while until a paying vehicle gets the ferry under way...) Google Street View of the early 1800s row houses, with a view across the river.

In Cincinnati, the Over the Rhine neighborhood just north of downtown is block after block of 19th century row houses. Ride the new streetcar for $1 to make a sightseeing loop through the area.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-26-17 at 10:17 PM.