Old 11-24-17, 06:12 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgeggy
I'm 51yo, 6'1", and my current weight is 220 lbs. I want to try to get down to 205-215. I purchased a used hybrid Fuji Sabres a few months ago so I could start cycling more frequently around the rural-ish roads in my central NJ town. (My only other bike previous in the last 20 years is a Giant Rincon mtb).

I would like to buy a road bike for the Spring. I was riding the other day at what felt like a reasonably brisk pace, and a group of cyclists on road bikes just blew right by me, seemingly peddling no faster than I was, lol! So my feeling is that a road bike would be more suitable to my purposes, but this is where I am getting frustrated - it is a bit overwhelming trying to figure out how buy the right road bike. So many variables! Fit, bike geometry, aluminum or carbon fiber, pedals and shoes, all of the different brands, stock wheels or upgraded (hand built?), tires brand and size? How many gears/speeds? All staying within by ideal budget of $800 or less. New or used? LBS or online retailer like Nashbar to save $? And of course the saddle...

I would like an entry level road bike that will hopefully serve me for many years without needing too many upgrades or adjustments. So I guess the only thing I can say for sure is Shimano 105?

I would mainly be riding on local roads, some slightly hilly, mostly smooth with the usual small cracks, bumps and minor potholes along the shoulder. Right now I'm doing 10-15 mile rides on the Hybrid, but of course over the Spring/Summer I'd like to be doing longer rides, and maybe even join a local cycle group.

Any advice for someone looking to go deeper into this terrific sport?
Hmm. 105 isn't entry level. And while should look for deals, I do wonder why you feel you need 105. Even Sora is very good, and a lot closer to your $800 budget. You want 105, you need to buy used as a new name brand 105 equipped bike will go for $1,500 or more.