MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooke1687
1. Anything is better than a sedentary life style
2. Genetics and lifestyle off the bike are huge. I know someone who runs marathons and had a pulmonary embolism while training, she was a smoker.

With that being said....
After my wreck and injury last summer I finished the summer/fall in the worst shape I had been in a while so I really put in a lot of work at the gym over the last 5 months. I’m a casual cyclist but have been wanting to increase my speed and mileage. I’ve been weight training, stretching, various types of cardio, and putting miles in on the station bike. After 5 months (and an iron transfusion to deal my severe anemia) my work out routine is not nearly as intense. Normally when it gets warm out I back off of my gym routine but I won’t be doing that this year because I know I need to focus on more than just the bike. Your body adapts and unless you’re climbing serious hills it’s not going to be as much of a work out.
Spot on. Cycling has many benefits. It is low impact, longer rides help build physical endurance, it is an outdoor activity, and I do believe we all need to get outdoors a certain number of hours per week for mental health, and it can be a pro social activity helping to keep us connected to friends in the cycling tribe.

But my friend thought he was protecting himself by riding a certain number of hours per week, never mind that 97% of his rides were along flat roads at low to moderate speeds. When I used to point it out to him, he would demur, saying at his age, he was fitter than 95% of his peers. Turns out maybe he was wrong.