Old 11-05-18, 03:09 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yes, carbon frames can be made stiffer, more aerodynamic, and more durable than aluminum.

Whether you need anything more than the aluminum frame you have is another question.
Is there bench-testing for modern track frames published anywhere, and additionally, have there been on-track tests comparing various racing frames? It'd be interesting to read such things.

Going to carbon from aluminum on my road bikes was a significant step forward in several respects including vibration dissipation, ride quality and handling (plus acceleration and climbing with lower mass). I would imagine that even with far fewer surface quality variables on track versus road, the aero and acceleration performance improvements alone could be important considerations.

I feel like this is somewhat of a recreational discussion, as the irrational gear-guy inner voice just says, "Who cares about proof of why they're better, they're obviously more aero, lighter and look killer, what more reason do you need? Just sell one of the kids and get carbon!"

Last edited by Super D; 11-05-18 at 03:15 PM.