Old 01-10-20, 06:44 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Many years ago I used Renold bicycle chains. Searches for these chains came up blanc in later years. However I just stumbled on this Renold site:
https://velo.renold.com/
Cost 250 pounds UK per chain
Has anybody used these chains and if so what are your opinions?
I've spent more time thinking about DT friction than most should (especially considering how slow I am)
nonetheless, my thoughts
For track you have basically two trees to follow for efficient chains

1.) Pursuiter/bunchie races - get a 3/32 drivetrain and run the newest Dura Ace 11 (until 12 speed comes out) speed chain. Either DIY wax it or use the highly efficient lube of choice (Ceramicspeed, etc) - basically just starting with this chain is most likely going to be more efficient than any 1/8 chain.

2.) (strong) Sprinter - in this case, you could very well break a 3/32 chain, so you want to stick with 1/8. Unfortunately, 1/8 tech doesn't move like 3/32 does, so not as many high tech choices. I'd steer away from the Izumi Super toughness as it's probably less efficient than less "tough" models... but most other 1/8 chains are likely very close in performance out of the box. At home/cheap, your best bet is again, stripping them of factory lube, then applying wax/efficient lube. If you want to spend more (but less than the linked chain) your next step is probably having it "ultra" precision polished. This is basically a super fine abrasive that removes imperfections in the manufacturing process. It's been used (controversially) in motor sports, and likely a fair bit in cycling as well under the radar. I wouldn't be surprised if the linked chain hadn't had something similar done.

Other options are using a hard low friction coating (like on pistons/ moving engine components) on the cog/chainring (I'm working on diy'ing it now) that should reduce friction. And of course bearings/grease etc.

But tl;dr - for most mortals, buy the chain that fits 1 or 2, then wax it and you'll be 95% of the way to what you can buy for any amount of money.
Likes For Morelock: