View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 09:01 PM
SlvrDragon50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I can understand people loving the Infinity saddle, since we have so many types of people in this world, but something on the saddlehas to take the rider's weight, and that part will need to break in to bearing the weight.

When I hit my late 60s, the saddles that used to work made me numb, and I did not want the numbness. I tried a Fizik (eff their spelling) Aliante(?), then B17 Imperial, finally an SMP TRK. The critical SMP measurement isn't sit bone width - it's the distance between sit and pubic bones. The TRK works for me. I tried one of their high end models which was too long. But I've used TRKs for 4 years now without numbness. I attribute that partly to the channel, in which the pubic nerve presumably rests, and the 'beak', which allows the privates bits to ride on air. It's a great saddle if numbness is your problem.

Another great saddle if you don't want to get numb is the ISM line (ismseat.com). These seats place almost all your weight on your pubic rami, not your sit bones, and that protects the soft tissue. Your privates ride on air with ISM seats, too. The problem I found with the ISM seat I tried was that I developed a saddle sore where my ramius rested on the seat. That's a problem for some people who try the ISM out.

There are other approaches, too - Cobb, an English seat the name of which I can't remember, etc. - but I believe taking pressure off the soft tissues is a good thing, even for young people, all other things being equal. But it's still impossible to predict how a specific individual will react to a specific saddle, so the only option we've got is to try a saddle out, figure out what, if anything, is wrong, and try another one
I've heard the ISM can be finicky to setup. I'm thinking about grabbing one to replace my Selle Italia, but my sit bones are on fire from using it.

Which ISM did you end up trying out? I'm unsure about the padding levels.