View Single Post
Old 05-21-20, 09:52 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
In my state it's alcohol stores *and* gun stores. That's a special kind of brilliant.
I've had the fortune to ride thousands of miles in Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee, in the Carolinas, in Florida, in west Texas, in the PNW, and a smattering of miles in other states. The friendliest drivers by a wide margin, in terms of giving space, waiting patiently, and apparent general concern for my safety have been in Tennessee. On an incredibly hot day in arid west Texas, the lone car we saw for hours passed us, and came back an hour later having gone to the nearest town, fetched water and gatorade, and brought it back to us out of the kindness of their hearts. Granted that's one data point, but it certainly made an impression. Rural Texas drivers generally drive fast and give room. The most hostility I've faced on the road was in my home state of Indiana.

Perhaps topping Tennessee was Soweto, South Africa, where this middle aged white guy on a bike was treated with more genuine kindness than just about anywhere I've been in the world. Knowing this history of that space, it is rather remarkable to contrast that treatment against what I encounter in my home state by people who look much like me. But I guess that's another storyline.
Likes For downtube42: