Old 05-20-19, 12:34 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
BP Meds and cycling

So about 6 weeks ago I had a little stroke. Not a TIA, an actual, lacunar stroke. Anyway, my BP was a little high, but my cholesterol was perfect and, really, they don't have a clear idea what caused it. So I'm on BP meds, and a low dose of aspirin, and a low dose of a statin, and I really just feel like crap. Tired all the time, and more depressed than I can attribute to what's going on in my life.

I'm being treated as they would treat a 70 year-old obese diabetic, basically, because that's the SOP. (They're doing the same deal with Michael Johnson!) Meanwhile, I'm a 58 year-old road biker with a resting pulse rate of 54, and quite a lot of muscle. (I bench 300.)

I did a pretty normal 20 mile ride over the weekend (1400' of climbing), and really felt crappy. No energy. had to stop a few times to rest on some big grades, which is unheard of for me, and when I got home, my feet and ankles were so swollen I didn't recognize them!

Now, I'm on a max (10 mg) dose of Norvasc, and the swollen feet seems to be a symptom of that, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this tiredness and lack of energy on BP meds? (I'm also on the minimum does of rosuvastatin, (5mg), maybe that could also be a factor.)

I've got a call in to my GP to discuss this all with him, but in the meantime, I thought I'd solicit thoughts from my fellow cyclists. I wanted to see if there was any collective wisdom about about BP drugs and cycling/exercise.

Any of you fellow oldies have any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!