Old 04-06-18, 05:25 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
There are 100,000 26" bikes on CL for dirt cheap. You can just outfit them any way you want (many have disc brakes too). I think the only thing they don't offer is through-axle (but no hybrids I know have TA anyway). If for some reason I would like 26", I never would buy new.
I have three 26" bikes at home. Retrofitting them with disc brakes will not be cost effective. I'd spend half as much as a new bike, and it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The used market for 29"/700c is basically empty (probably the same for 27.5") and/or highly overpriced.
That about describes the local market here.

I am going to look at the Specialized Roll today; my local bike shop sells these and has a number of them on the sales floor. If I don't take a Roll home, I'll drive the 70 miles to see the Giant ARX tomorrow. I'll ask both shops about equivalent 29ers, but I would still want a rigid fork. At nearly twice the price of the ARX, the Toughroad is more than I care to spend right now, but it's the type of 29er bike I'd want if I went to that tire size. Unfortunately, this is a segment where marketing spin is strong, and rigid 29ers are often marketed as "ADVENTURE!" or "BIKEPACKING!" bikes. In reality, I just want a simple rigid frame bike with a cassette and hydraulic disc brakes and some frame clearance for larger section tires. At only $500, the 27.5" ARX checks all of those boxes. The Roll does, too, but it's a steeper $700 for the equipment I want. I have a very good relationship with my local Specialized dealer, so maybe they can work with me some on the price of a new Roll, if I like it.

A Specialized Cirrus Disc could work, but it comes with only 32mm wide tires. I want at least 50% wider than that, and I'm sure the Cirrus frame won't support it. Great deal at only $560, though. Or the Giant Escape Disc...a little pricier at $695, but it still comes with only 32mm tires (and probably not the frame clearance for 50mm).

Unfortunately, the only other options I seem to have, in a 622mm wheel, is something like a Surly Ogre or Troll or Bridge Club, and I'm back up in Giant Toughroad price range. Nice bikes for sure...but more than I'd like to spend.

If you have a suggestion of a all-rigid 29er in the $500-600 price range that will meet my criteria, I'd happily consider it. Seems that one can buy a hybrid with a suspension fork for this price all day long. But rigid forks now seem to be relegated to the "ADVENTURE!" category, with spendier prices.