View Single Post
Old 12-06-19, 03:34 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Here's my latest finding with regard to mixing paraffin and oil. I use 75-90 synthetic gear lube, but any high quality oil will probably do. Do not use paraffin oil or lamp oil or kerosene. Mixing paraffin to oil at a 2/1 ratio should produce a product that isn't too soft still behaves, mostly like paraffin. I increased the oil to 2/1.5 and got a lot softer product that's more likely to be a little dirty/greasy. I don't dip, I dissolve the paraffin in naptha (camp stove fuel). This product requires a small fraction of the paraffin that hot dipping does. With a thin liquid lube, you can put it wear it's needed - around the rollers and not all over the chain.

MSW only claims 16 application for a pound of wax. If diluted with a minimum of 3 parts naptha to 1 part paraffin/oil, 2 ounces of paraffin could give up to 90 applications, as a liquid lube. If you apply only 1-2 drops per roller, you can get up to 6 application per ounce of liquid lube.
I'm only like half way through my bag and probably have waxed 50 chains this year