Thread: Applying decals
View Single Post
Old 03-28-20, 10:05 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Doug Fattic xiaoman1 Thank you both for responding. Looks like the approach is the same just different "tools". I am thinking that the long edge needs to be applied then wrap the rest around the tool. Two risks come to mind, the "twist" and centering of the decal at the center both in length and width. I get the half tube tool. Good overall explanation, Doug Fattic .

The vinyl is already cut without cutting the backing. So I assume that if I am starting along the length to apply, the extra space would be along the top and bottom.

I cant see trying to place the vinyl any other way, unless it tis to mount it along the center marks of the middle and hope to apply the rest without wrinkles, or is that where the extra space is?
The instructions do say to use a soap water solution prior to application. I thought I would level the bike first along the top tube then use the level to mark where the DT decal starts in alignment with the ST decal. Most of the pictures of this bike with decals shows the back side of the decal about even with the brake bridge. the front of the decal would then be slightly higher as it wraps around the tube. the Carnlelli is about half way between the TT and the ST decal edge. The Olympic rings are still on the bike but mostly gone.