View Single Post
Old 09-21-20, 09:11 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I rode 7000 km on Fulcrum Racing 4 DBs (that's the disc brake version) before replacing them with Light Bicycle R45s, now they get used as spares.

They are good wheels, sturdy and ride well. I rode them on road and some light offroad on 23/25mm GP5000 tire combo and they are as true as they were on day one despite not being
​​​​​​really pampered. Somewhat aero, too. Bearing adjustment on the hubs is easy and the hubs are super smooth.

Caveats, they are somewhat aero with a 23mm GP5000 front tire which sits almost flush with the rim, the 25mm bulges out some and that basically ruins the aerodynamics, and a 28mm would predictably bulge out a lot (5000s are also pretty narrow tires) where it would be unsightly, even. Secondly, it is twichier in crosswinds due to V shape than a, say, 45mm U shape rim or a shallow alloy rim. You notice it, it's not terrible but it's felt.

It's also a bit on the heavy side, but it's what also makes it sturdy if you are a wheel destroyer. It feels like a very rigid wheel. I'd recommend it as a budget wheel, for sure (although with discs there's not much reason not to go for carbon): it would be pretty awesome if they had put bladed spokes on it.
​​​​​​
​​​​
​​​​
​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 09-22-20 at 01:11 AM.