View Single Post
Old 09-22-20, 08:37 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks again for all the comments.

I ended up grabbing a used set of Oval Concepts 733 wheels with about 2500 miles on them. (if you don't know, Oval is the in-house brand for Fuji and a few others) I haven't set up tires on them yet, but they are spinning true and round. Also haven't weighed them yet, but based on reviews, specs and my non-calibrated arm the rear should be a touch heavier than the Bontrager RXL that I busted, but the front will be lighter than my current Bontrager Race on the front (I've read total weight from 1480 to 1560 g). So likely a net no change or possibly shave a few ounces that I will never, ever notice. The Ovals can be set up tubeless and have a 17mm internal width (same as my current wheels). Also, the rim depth goes is 33 mm vs approx 22 mm on the Bontragers. Theoretically a little bit more aero (knowing that rim shape, etc. goes into that too) with hopefully no big difference in cross winds.

Downside to the Ovals is that the labels are blue & white whereas my Trek Domane is satin black with dark red accents. Oh! Will the fashion gods ever forgive me!!

Hopefully these Ovals will keep me happy for several years at least, but if not I was zeroing in on the Hunts or Pacenti Forza wheels. I liked the specs and reviews of the Fulcrums that have been talked about, but the warranty on the Hunts was better (3 years vs 2) and both Hunt and Pacenti have US-based warranty service centers.

Thanks again!